Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter and Spring Break

This past week was spring break for Kevin and Jenna. (Derek's spring break was at the beginning of March). We stayed home and relaxed. It was nice. The kids spent time almost every day playing outside with the neighbor kids. It rained at the beginning of the week, but it was pretty nice by the end of the week. Kevin and Jenna helped me clean the house. That was great. We even made it to the park for a play date one day. I was really worried about having all three kids home all week (I know, I'm a great mom. :p), but it went well. Kevin even entertained himself a few times by reading a chapter book (from The Magic Tree House series.). He kept saying "Mom, it is so cool that I can read by myself now." I was pretty excited for him. Reading is so empowering, so I am thrilled that he is getting so good at it.

We had a great Easter! We left Friday after Derek got home from school and headed down to my sister's about three hours from here (the perfect distance, I might add). The kids were great in the car and we didn't have to stop. My brother and sister-in-law and their children came too. It was so fun to have all the siblings together. We missed my parents though. They live a little too far to head down for the weekend. The kids had a great time with their cousins and Derek and I had a blast with the adults. We had 14 people in my sister's two bedroom townhouse, but we made it work, and it really didn't seem too crowded (I'm sure it helped that we were only there for two days).

We took the kids to the park for lunch and an Easter egg hunt on Saturday. The kids really enjoyed that. We had hoped to go see a battleship, but the weather kept threatening rain. It never materialized, but we were too nervous to push our luck. Saturday afternoon the kids dyed eggs. They turned out cute. Sunday we went to church, had a nice lunch and headed home. We were back to our house by 5:30p. Thanks again Rachel for letting us come and making it so much fun.

Enjoy the pictures.

Kevin at the Easter egg hunt (I really like this picture)

Jared at the Easter egg hunt

Rachel helping Jenna count her eggs at the Easter egg hunt. Each child was allowed 17 eggs.

Jared and Jenna eating lunch at the park after the egg hunt.

Kevin eating lunch at the park. Notice the silly expression. This has become a common thing whenever I try to take his picture.

Rachel and David's little boy, Levi. Isn't he so cute?!

Kevin dying Easter eggs. Notice the expression again. I think this expression is pretty fun though.

Jenna, Derek, and Jared dying Easter eggs.

Jared dying Easter eggs (or at least that's what he was supposed to be doing).

Every year for Easter my mom made us a bunny cake that looked a lot like this one. It is a tradition we have kept. Rachel made this one, and she and Derek decorated it. I think it turned out really well.

No artist would leave their work unsigned. Rachel put her initials. Derek put "ph@ d-rock" - ph@ is to be read "phat" as in Pretty Hot And Tempting. You certainly can't fault him for lack of creativity. :)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you guys came! We had a great time. I must say, the picture of me is taken from a very flattering angle. :) That certainly is a great picture of Levi...He is cute...isn't he? Haha.

Your kids are adorable...I have some more pictures for you from the Easter egg hunt.

Stephers said...

Kiersten read a Magic Tree house book over Spring Break too! She likes those books and Junie B Jones. Also Flat Stanley. I'm jealous of you being so close to family, it looks like you guys had a great time.

Aubri said...

Your kids are so big! Looks like you're surviving and having fun...we miss you!

The Fifes said...

levi is just precious! Tell Rachel hi for me, and i'd love an invite to her blog!

Van Cott Family said...

Lack of crativity. . . no, but lack of humility. . . maybe! :) jk I love Derek! and can I tell you how great it is that you blog! I might have to steal that eater cake idea! I love traditions! I tried to do the breakfast menu idea for confrence, but it hasn't worked out. O-well, maybe I'll keep trying.
--Julie