We had a family reunion for my mom's side of the family in Ohio this weekend. My grandparents and two aunts and uncles all have homes on the same lake. When I was a child I spent many a summer day at that Lake. We would swim and play in the sand all day. I loved going there (I still love going there). We have taken the kids there before, but this time they really got into it. They would get in their swimsuits in the morning, and play in the sand and water until dinner time. (They usually ate lunch outside, in their swimsuits).
It was really fun to see the kids have so much fun. It reminded me of my childhood. Even Derek said it was like living my childhood vicariously. Derek and I had a great time too. We swam and took the paddle boat out. We went for boat rides, and Derek even got to go tubing (along with Jenna and Kevin). We had a blast socializing with family. The weather was perfect and everyone had a great time. It was very relaxing. It was the perfect vacation.
On Friday evening we went to my aunt and uncle's house (not on the lake) and had a swim party in their pool. We had the kids swimming in their life jackets at first. Jenna decided that she wanted to take her life jacket off. She could stand with her head above water in the shallow end, so we let her. She started putting her face in the water. Then she and Derek would go under water and swim a little towards each other. It was really cool to see her actually swimming.
Kevin was really annoyed that she could do this and he couldn't, but he refused to put his face in the water. He kept saying he needed goggles. Near the very end, my cousin (at whose house we had the party) put on a pair of goggles. Kevin said something to her, and she told him where to find several more pairs. He went and got a pair and then put his face under water. Unfortunately it was well past bed time at this point, so we had to leave, and he didn't get as much time as he wanted to try swimming underwater. I think it is time to put the kids in swim lessons. I think they are old enough to really learn how to swim.
Jared was funny at the pool party too. In the beginning he refused to get in the water. He would stand on the steps going into the pool, but would only go down enough to get his feet wet. We tried everything we could think of to get him into the pool (short of just taking him in - he was terrified to get in). Eventually he would say he wanted to get in, but then when I tried to get him, he changed his mind and wouldn't get in. Finally I just pulled him in with me, and he was fine. From then on, he wouldn't get out. He would swim around (with me holding him). He even put his face in the water a few times.
Saturday we had the actual family reunion. Everyone made it. We had 38 people total (my grandparents, their children and their spouses, grandchildren and their spouses or significant others (when applicable), and great grandchildren). We got some pictures before we ate lunch. I haven't seen them yet. Hopefully there is a good one. It is pretty hard to get 38 people to look at a camera with their eyes open all at the same time. Forget getting them all to smile. :)
On Sunday Derek, Jared and I left for home. Derek had to be back at work today. Kevin and Jenna stayed with my parents in Ohio. They are having a blast with their cousins. It is a little weird not having them around. I think Jared might be a little bored. :)
Kevin caught his first fish yesterday, a bluegill. He was pretty excited. My dad said it was a little bigger than an adult's hand. Unfortunately, my mom said they didn't get any pictures.
Hopefully Kevin and Jenna will have a great time without us. It is always fun for kids to spend a little time with grandma and grandpa without mom and dad getting in the way. :)
Enjoy the pictures!
Jared with his cars on the dock. That kid is obsessed with cars.:)
Jared at the Lake
Jenna at the Lake. She rarely looks happy in pictures.
Kevin at the Lake (notice the classic Kevin look)
Here he is on a boat watching people tubing
Jenna and Kevin playing in the sand
Jared and Grandpa
Grandma, Kevin and Derek hanging out on a boat
Here is a great shot of the Lake to give you a good idea of how beautiful and peaceful it is.
2 comments:
I just caught up on your blog... I loved the story about the deck color. It sounds like your having a fun summer with "good" grandma and grandpa!
What a fun time! Those really are the kinds of things we remember forever from childhood, those really great times with family.
Post a Comment