Sunday, August 02, 2009

More Summer Fun



I skipped posting last week because I was in Virginia at girls camp the whole week before, and Derek didn't take any pictures while I was gone. I was gone for 10 days, away from my husband and children. I am not an overly sentimental or emotional person, but I was more than ready to come back to my family. The picture above is of Jenna with fudgesicle all over her face. The kids had them while I was gone.

This week we had another fun summer week. Unfortunately for Jared the week did not start out so well. I drove back from Virginia on Monday (an 11 hour drive). About an hour before I got here I got a call from my mom. She said Jared had been stung by a wasp on his face, and his face was very swollen. They gave him some Benadryl which helped to bring down the swelling, but it took about two full days for his face to return to normal.

Jared's swollen face. They told me that in the beginning he couldn't open his eye at all.




Tuesday we took the kids to the library and park. They have really enjoyed being part of the library reading groups this summer. That night they had "Big Truck Night" at the library. They brought in a bunch of huge trucks and let the kids play in them. Kevin and Jared had a blast! Jenna hated it. She didn't like all the noise (the horns were going constantly), so I took her inside the library, and read her books until the boys were done.

Jared in front of the police car at "Big Truck Night." I know a police car isn't a big truck, but the kids loved it anyway.


Kevin on a police motorcycle. Yet again, not a big truck. :)


Jared on a police motorcycle.


Jared in a big truck.


Kevin in a big truck.


Wednesday we took the kids to Salisbury beach in New Hampshire. It was about 90 degrees outside, but the water was freezing! I did not expect that. My feet hurt being in the water because it was so cold. Eventually they went numb, so it wasn't too bad. :) Kevin didn't mind the cold water. Jared hated it and wouldn't go near the Ocean. He kept saying he wanted to go home. Jenna warmed up to it by the end.

Kevin at the beach


Jared at the beach


Jenna at the beach


Mom and Kevin playing in the waves.




Thursday we took the kids shopping for school supplies. Kevin and Jenna both had a list of supplies they needed. They had a good time picking out the folders, notebooks, scissors, etc. that they wanted. I wanted to do that here because the stores near our house in Virginia are not the best for buying school supplies.

Friday my dad took the day off from work, and took us (minus Derek) to Story Land. Story Land is a young child's amusement park (think under 12). It was a really cool park, great for little kids. The problem was that it rained the entire time we were there. The kids still had a great time. Jared loved the train (his latest obsession). Jenna loved the flying fish and the shows. We saw a circus that was awesome, and an imagination show. Kevin loved the polar coaster (roller coaster). It really was a fun place and I am glad the kids had such a good time. Thank you for taking the day off to spend it with us Dad!

Jenna, Kevin, and Jared on thrones in Cinderella's Castle


Jared, Jenna and Kevin participating in the Imagination show. They were the animals for "Old McDonald Had a Farm"


Kevin and Grandma shooting balls at Grandpa. This was part of the imagination place. I wish I had more pictures. It was really cool. The kids spent about an hour playing there.


Saturday we started packing things. We leave Boston to head back to Virginia this week. This is the last week of summer for the kids. Kevin starts school (1st grade) a week from tomorrow and Jenna starts preschool a week from Wednesday. It is hard to believe that summer is over. We have had the best summer. I am very sad to see it end. Thank you mom and dad for making it so wonderful!

Today we took the kids to the Boston temple to walk around. We enjoy going to walk around temples. We used to do it fairly often in Utah. It was a nice temple. I am glad we made it over there before heading back to Virginia.

Jenna, Kevin and Jared at the Boston Temple


Jenna, Kevin and Jared looking at the Boston Temple


Kevin, Mom and Dad at the Boston Temple. Jenna took this picture. Not bad for a 4 year old.


Amanda and Derek at the Boston Temple. Kevin took this picture. He did a great job.


We have had a great time in New Hampshire. I am glad we had the opportunity to spend a summer up here. New England is a beautiful place. I don't know that I could survive their winters, but their summers are great.

2 comments:

ottspot said...

Wow! You guys have had a fun, busy summer! I didn't realize you were going to be hanging out in New England for so long. Hope you got to see some of its nice weather in between the rainiest summer they've had since I was born.

Van Cott Family said...

Hi, great pics! looks like a summer dream come true! (minus the bee sting!). Do you want to take lead on the book? I will if you are busy, but I thought like old times we'd take turns, if you want. let me know and I'll e-mail you access to the blog.
--julie