Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you all had a great day. We did. For me Valentine's Day has always been more of a family holiday than a romantic one. When I was growing up my mom would often have a little treat waiting for us at our spot at the table (a tradition I have continued with my children). I also remember my dad getting me a rose one year when I was a teenager (he may have done that more than once, but I don't have the best memory in the world).

Since my children didn't go to school this week (a whole week of snow days - two of them completely unnecessary, but what do I know, I'm from the north), I invited several of their friends over on Thursday for an impromptu Valentine's Day party (I was still naive enough to think they would have school on Friday). It was a blast. The kids played, made Valentine's, ate lunch, played some more, and then decorated cookies. They were at our house for about 4 hours. I had a really good time. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it is fun every now and then.

Kevin making Valentines


Jared and Jenna making Valentines


Kevin decorating cookies


Kevin decorated a lot of cookies. Here are his two plates of finished cookies.




Jared decorating cookies (he is very generous with the frosting - my kind of decorator)


Jared and Jenna with their cookies. Yummy!


The aftermath of the decorating part of the party. I had actually already cleaned some of it up before I took the picture. Thankfully I used a plastic table cloth that could just be thrown away afterwards. That made clean up a lot easier.


Yesterday (Saturday) we were supposed to have some church meetings that Derek and I were both supposed to attend. We got a baby-sitter so that we could go, but found out at the beginning of the week that the meetings had been canceled. We decided that since we already had the sitter, we might as well take advantage, and go out for Valentine's Day. We got a gift certificate to Chili's for Christmas (thanks brother and sister-in-law!), which was great. I really like Chili's, and they didn't disappoint. After lunch we shopped around for a few things, and then headed home. We were actually gone for almost 5 1/2 hours, which was awesome. Do you know how much easier it is to get things done when you don't have to cart 3 children along? :)

Derek had a rehearsal for a band he is singing with last night. On his way home he stopped and picked up some balloons for the kids for Valentine's Day. Our children LOVE balloons. (I am super strict though, and they are only allowed to have mylar balloons because of the potential for suffocation with the other balloons). I had already bought ring pops for each of them, so we attached the ring pops to the bottom of the balloons and set them in the family room. They were so excited when they saw them this morning. Kevin and Jenna had each made Valentine's for everyone in our little family, so they were very excited to give those out.

We got their little treats ready Saturday night


They were excited to find their little Valentine's Day treats this morning.


They enjoyed their ring pops after church.


The ring pops were heart shaped for Valentine's Day. The kids thought that was great. Kevin wanted to make sure we got a picture of it.


This was Derek's surprise for me this morning. He's the best! (I got him some candy, but nothing worth noting).


This afternoon Derek made us pancakes for dinner (a Sunday tradition - though this week he made buttermilk pancakes and they were amazing). He made heart shaped ones. Very cute! Then for dessert we had chocolate covered strawberries (a Valentine tradition around here). They were so good!

It was a nice day. I feel lucky to have four wonderful Valentine's in my life! I am also very excited about my children going back to school tomorrow. They have only gone once in the last two weeks (and that was Thursday of the previous week). We have a lot of days to make up (hence the reason they have school on President's Day), but it was a fun two weeks. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Love the cute Valentines party--looks fun & yummy! I love the look on your kids faces with the cookies & candy. So cute! :) I'm with you on the snow days. So many times it's a waste. And I got the same yummy treats as you did for Valentines too (the Ghirardelli chocolates).

And as for your question on my blog (about where to find school ratings)...if you go to www.greatschools.com, they have school ratings all over the US, along with demographics, etc. Good luck & keep us posted. Any idea where you might end up?