Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentine's Day, Trombone Lessons, and Random Pics

Every year around Valentine's Day, Derek's work holds a father/daughter dance. This is the second year that Jenna and Derek have attended. They both love it. Here are the few pictures I snapped before they left:

What a cute couple

Derek and Jenna

Jenna and Derek

Jared's preschool class has two class "friends" that the children take turns taking home for a sleepover over the weekend. Jared had the opportunity to bring one home the other day. He brought home "Manny the Monkey." Manny is supposed to observe Jared using manners. We recorded two instance of Jared using good manners in Manny's notebook, and we recorded some of the fun things Jared and Manny did together. Jared even made a special bed for Manny to sleep in. It was very sweet.

Jared with Manny the Monkey, his frog and his monkey

Since Kevin and Jenna are now taking piano lessons, I thought it would be good to have a family talent night for Family Home Evening. Kevin and I played the piano (separately). Kevin played Ode to Joy, which he had memorized. Jenna tried to do a hand stand, and sang a song. Jared did a somersault and pretended to argue (really funny). Derek played his trombone. It has been a long time since Derek has played his trombone for the kids. I'm not even sure Jared was alive last time he had it out. Anyway, they were fascinated by it, so he let each of them try it. I was impressed that they were each able to get some sound out of it.

Kevin playing trombone

Jenna playing trombone

Jared on the trombone

Alyssa enjoying the "talent show"

When I was growing up my mom would always get us a little treat for Valentine's Day. We would wake up on Valentine's Day to find the small treat at our "spot" on the table. I have continued that same tradition with my children. However, two years ago we got the children a balloon with a treat attached to the bottom of it. We didn't do that last year, but they have not forgotten. They talk about Valentine's Day including balloons, so we decided to get them each a balloon to go with their small treat this year. They were so excited. They also gave us Valentine's, which was very sweet. Other than those small tokens, we didn't do anything to celebrate the day. The kids did all have parties at school though.

Valentine's Day morning

Alyssa's Valentine treat (oh well, next year it will be better)

And of course, no post would be complete without a couple of pictures of Alyssa. :)

Amanda and Alyssa

Alyssa sitting in the laundry basket




3 comments:

ottspot said...

Alyssa's eyes are so blue! And she has so much hair! She is adorable. Glad to see you all doing so well!

Rachel said...

There are several pictures of Alyssa on here that look an awful lot like some of Jenna's baby pictures. :)

Stephers said...

Austin just asked me... when are we going to visit them? I remember going to the park with them. Wish I had a good answer :-(